Sunday, July 02, 2006


CAPRI
Time to go home. I'm very sad on the aliscafo going from Capri to Naples to catch my plane. In the background is Bay of Naples and Mount Vesuvius. It is the only volcano on the European mainland to have erupted within the last hundred years, although it is not currently erupting. Vesuvius is notorious for its destruction of the Roman cities of Pompeii and Herculaneum in 79 AD. It has erupted many times since and is today regarded as one of the most dangerous volcanoes in the world because of the population of 3,000,000 people now living close to it and its tendency towards explosive eruptions. It is however a magnificent sight. I'm certainly going to go back to Capri next year to explore all the other places I didn't get to this year, so I can tell you all about them.
Pin It

No comments: