Saturday, August 20, 2005


LONDON
Tuesday was my sight seeing and museum day. I wanted to catch up with the latest shows and see all the new buildings that have "sprouted" up in the East End of London these past ten years. I just had to see the London headquarters of the reinsurers, The Swiss Re Building, locally called the Gerkin or nicknamed the "suppository" by my husband!!! Isn't it wonderful the way it blends in with the old buildings of the city? I love it! This forty storey landmark building was designed by Sir Norman Foster and Partners and opened in 2004. The tower has a circular plan that widens as it rises from the ground and then tapers towards its apex. The windows open too and whenever possible, recycled and recyclable materials have been used as well as innovative ways of reducing energy consumption. Brilliant!
Pin It

No comments: