Friday, August 29, 2014

Venice 71: Film Festival. – Qin’ai de (Dearest) – Peter Ho-sun Chang.


 Photograph courtesy La Biennale di Venezia




Venice 71: Film Festival. –  Qin’ai de (Dearest) – Peter Ho-sun Chang.  The Chinese film Qin’ai de (Dearest) directed by Peter Ho-sun Chang, stars Zhao Wei, Huang Bo, Tong Dawei, Hao Lei and Zhang Yi. The director Stated “When I saw the news documentary that my movie is based on, I was in awe of how life is so much more powerful and unpredictable than most fiction. I knew immediately that I have to make this movie. This kind of calling and urgency seldom happened to me. The incredible journey of two parents in search of their abducted son and their eventual encounter with his foster mother, the film takes us into multiple layers of contemporary Chinese society’s changing landscape. I believe this is not just a Chinese story. This is a story that is relevant to rapidly growing economies all over the world. Upon reading the script, the actress Zhao Wei called me and said, “Peter, you have a great deal of social conscience”. But I told her I have none. I was simply touched by the story and the characters. But I guess if the movie can touch the audience the same way the documentary touched me, then maybe, this can be a movie with social conscience.”
Above. The director Peter Ho-sun Chan with the cast at the Venice Film Festival premiere.

Pin It